Tuesday, August 6, 2013

4 Kids | Back to School

I'm sorry to be the one to mention this, but yes, it's back to school time. Some of my reader friends are already in school! I always loved going back to school each year. I couldn't wait to see my new classroom, meet my new teacher, see my old friends and make new ones. It was very exciting.

But I know. Not everyone is as in love with school as I was. I understand.

In fact, I really understand.

You see, I had this really great dog named Fitz. His real name was Fitzgerald but I called him Fitz. He was really cute and really smart. He was very talented. I loved him very much (and still do).

But sometimes, I have to admit, he misbehaved a little. Sometimes when we were outside, he thought it was fun to run down the street. I wasn't laughing. 

So I decided the responsible thing to do was sign him up for obedience school.

That reminds me: I just came across a great library book about a dog that goes to obedience school. It's Always In Trouble by Corinne Demas, and is the story of a dog named Toby who just can't seem to do anything right. Poor Toby. Check out this book and find out how Toby handles obedience school. I'm sure you'll laugh a lot!

But back to my dear Fitz. I did sign him up for obedience school. We went to the first class. He wasn't very happy with me. On the way home, he sat in his car seat and faced away from me. He would usually face me. I knew he was mad.

When we went to the second class, everyone was walking in a line, teaching the dogs to heel. Fitz went along with it for about 30 seconds. And then he stopped. Did I mention he was an 8 1/2 pound Yorkshire Terrier? Well, he was. And so you'd think when he stopped I could simply nudge him to keep going. But no. He stopped and he wasn't moving. So I whispered to him that the others were watching him, and pleaded with him to heel. That's when he did it. He started dancing.

Yes, you read that right. He danced. His dancing was this weird combination of shaking his tail and lifting different legs all at the same time. I wish I would have videotaped it. You'll just have to trust me.

In a matter of seconds, the whole obedience school class had stopped and everyone was staring at Fitz and me. I just picked him up and we went home. 

Realizing how important school is, I somehow convinced Fitz to return to obedience school (after a short vacation), and from then on, he was the model student. 

I guess the lesson here is that even if something in school is a little tough at first, don't give up. You can do it! 

Thanks for letting me reminisce about Fitz. 

And a very Happy Back To School to all!!





2 comments:

  1. Suzy, I loved this blog, I should read it to my Ari..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had a dog named Manfred. He was my very first dog, so I had no clue how to tell him how to behave. You know that book, "Officer Buckle and Gloria?" Gloria reminded me of Manfred.

    I took him to obedience training, and he was not the model student I hoped he would be. But we stuck with the course (I think it was six weeks, or eight weeks,) and he had made enough progress that I decided to bring him back for another session. He was the star student, the second time around. You could see how proud he was, demonstrating his off leash skills (heel! stay! come!) to the new dogs.

    ReplyDelete