Saturday, March 2, 2013

Teens Only | Pardon This Personal Question

What does your bedroom say about you? Are you a 15 year old living in a room with walls covered in pink fairies or blue and red trains? Is the floor of your room barely visible because it's covered in clothes, school stuff, and other collections from your day-to-day life? Do you share a room with a sibling? Do you avoid going into your room until it's time to go to bed because it's just not fun or relaxing?
Your bedroom should be your sanctuary. It should be the place where you go to relax, think, read, dream, breathe, and feel inspired.
I know it can be tough to do a major makeover of your bedroom. How many of us have $5,000...or even $500....to really re-do our sleep space? But I've learned a few tricks that might help you make some changes in your bedroom that will make it a place you can really enjoy...and be proud of!
I check out decorating books from the library and write down ideas. A couple of my favorites are:

Super Suite: The Ultimate Bedroom Makeover Guide for Girls -- by Mark Montano -- has some cool ideas. And even though the title says it's for girls, I think guys wouldn't mind black and white poster headboard idea.








Another favorite is Nate Berkus' Home Rules: Transform the Place You Live Into a Place You'll Love. Nate's the famous designer guy who has made over rooms for tons of celebrities, including Oprah. And even though I can't afford many of the things he does, I still get great ideas from his books. Many of his ideas can be modified and done very economically (that means, on the cheap!).





I also check out websites like Pinterest for ideas. Basically, I'll take ideas wherever I can find them!
And then I get creative. I check out local thrift stores for prints, bed linens (wash them or have them professionally cleaned first), and I also rummage through my house to find things that might work better in my bedroom. (Just ask your parents first, of course.) Oh yes, I also go to garage sales! I save up my money if I need to purchase something new. I look for sales. I have a very specific idea in mind and then I wait until I find exactly what I want...on sale....and try not to get impatient when the room of my dreams doesn't come together in one day!
I shared a bedroom with my 2 sisters until I was 15. I know your pain if you're still sharing a room. Even if the only space that is yours is the few feet around your bed, you can still make it your own.
Of course you need to have a discussion with your parents. But even if all you can do is a good cleaning/organizing of your space, do it! You'll go to sleep each night in a much more relaxing place, and you'll wake up truly refreshed and ready to face each day.

So here's to restful sleep in your own little sanctuary!

No comments:

Post a Comment