Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Wanderlust Librarian | 21st Century Memories *revised*

If there's anything I love more than my daughter and travel, it's taking pictures WHILE travelling with my daughter. I love the memories that are made with a quick push of my finger. Even when we're at home or at the store, there is always an opportunity to cement that moment.

Pictures have come a long way. A run of the mill digital camera can hold at LEAST 250 pictures per memory card. That's insane!  For me, the best of the best pictures get printed and displayed. If you decide to print your photos, there are many ways to manipulate the photos to make the perfect shot so you get the copy that you want. It's SO easy to take 20 pictures of the same thing and delete the bad photos that didn't make the grade.

Remember the agony of waiting for developed pictures? That hopefully the pictures you took on vacation came out looking decent? I spent many an hour with my dad at at the Photomat waiting for our photos. It was exciting to relive the trip and see the sights, but it was in the first few moments of looking through the pictures that you would see the real drama: people walking in the shot, blinking folks, blurry movers, a thumb. Those pictures were a bust.

Technology has now given everyone the power to share our lives with a few clicks. Friends and family can now live a moment with you within minutes of it happening. My cell phone takes amazing pictures and I can share funny things I see on the street or the food I'm eating.


Caramel Corn in North Beach
Ashland, Oregon has humor! 




















I find some of the best pictures I've taken of my daughter have been spur of the moment. It doesn't have to be dignified... just fun!

2011 In front of Pixar Animation in Emeryville
Feb 2013 :My kid and Mulan












There are many picture sharing applications for smartphones out there. These applications have filters which change the way the pictures look. The ones that I use most on my Android phone are Instagram and PhotoGrid. These apps push my vision beyond one picture. It's a great way to theme out pictures that would otherwise be a little boring on their own.

She's Batman....

Glasses have gone beyond the Groucho Marx look! 

Mimicking the musical poster!

Disneyland Delectables!

Oakland Airport glass

The pictures you take can be saved on a memory card and brought to your local photo printing place. This will allow you to frame the amazing photos you take.

I take pictures that are visually interesting to me. There are times that I think, "what a beautiful sunset" or "I just want to remember this moment forever.". Those are the times to take those pictures. Don't hold back because you think the pictures you take won't be interesting to others. Your vision is what's meaningful to you and the memories from those photos will last forever.

For those of you that have pets and children... cherish them. I think I have more pictures of and with my child than my parents have for the duration OF my life. She's an easy subject to photograph and just as silly for those fun, candid pictures. I'll enjoy these pictures far after she decides she's too cool for me.

There is never a bad time to take a good picture. Embrace the moment and share your life!

Until next week, have some amazing adventures and take some amazing photos!




2 comments:

  1. You're lucky to have such a good model to work with!

    Great post. I learned a thing or two from this, and can't wait to try some of these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a great believer in the power of photography. "Every picture tells a story, don't it?" we try to make each photo a treasure that captures the essence of the moment. Digital, instantaneous results sure help us weed out the duds quickly. I believe that having experienced the Brownie Starmite and Instamatic 100 (fingers crossed picking up the little yellow envelopes at the Rexall Drug Store)gives one added perspective and possibly a different skill and appreciation for photographs. Your pix and your suggestions are excellent.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete