Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Learning | Young 'Uns, on Being Young and Growing

My best friend's son said something hilarious shortly after he turned four. He just didn't expect it to cause peals of laughter when he began to tell a story with the phrase, "A long time ago, when I was three...."

Clearly "a long time ago" is a relative concept.

I was reminded of that incident last week. A young customer, about five years old, told me,"When I was a baby, I didn't know ANYTHING."  He and I marveled about all the things he knows now. He can walk, jump, run, talk, sing, write his name, and so much more. I have a feeling that bright guy will be able to examine his accomplishments many times in the future, and be amazed at how much more he knows.


Several months ago, I was checking a big pile of books out to a family. The tiniest, a girl, passed me the book called Becoming Butterflies. It's a lovely picture book by Anne F. Rockwell, about metamorphosis. 

As I scanned the bar code, I mentioned that it looked very interesting.  Her older brother (who was perhaps six years old, at the most) rolled his eyes and sighed, "Oh, I already know all about THAT."







On Tuesday, a young fellow pulled the receipt out of the printer near D.I.Y.S.C.O., one of the Troke Branch's Express Check Out machines.  He glanced at the paper and read aloud, "Curious George!"

I high-fived him for being able to read, and he began boasting:

"I'm better than four; 
I'm better than three; 
I'm better than two; 
I'm better than one; 
I'M FIVE!"  

He sounded like he was rooting for a sports team. If I began to say such a cheer for my age, it would take me a long time. The kid would probably be able to say he was better than five, by the time I finished.

What do all of these anecdotes have in common?  These kids are all becoming butterflies, so to speak.  They are experiencing their own metamorphosis, and seem downright proud of growing and learning.  High fives to all of them!


2 comments:

  1. I love your blog Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet blog post, Lori. The transformation the kids take in their first five years is just amazing. It goes by so quickly. Little butterflies indeed. :-)

    ReplyDelete