Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book Bucket List | The Fault in Our Stars

When I was thinking about what books to talk about here on the blog, I realized that I rarely mention any books for teens.  I only realized this after I finished a really, really good book by young adult fiction author John Green.  In a world where "teen paranormal romance" is one of the more popular genres for teens, (I couldn't believe the size of the shelf space for it at Barnes and Noble!) Green's The Fault in Our Stars is a romance firmly based in reality.

Hazel, a sixteen year old girl miraculously surviving terminal lung cancer, is utterly bored and hates feeling like she is a "professional sick person."  However, at a teen cancer survivor support group meeting, she meets Augustus Waters, a seventeen year old survivor of osteosarcoma. The incredibly good looking, charismatic, and intellectually stimulating boy takes Hazel on an adventure of which she never thought she'd be capable.

Obviously, as both main characters have cancer, this is not always a happy tale. "The world is not a wish making factory" is a common theme and quote throughout the book.  It is however, the best teen book I've read in awhile, so if you're in the mood for some young adult fiction, (though this book could really be loved by teens and former teens alike) definitely check this one out. 


BONUS BLOGGING MATERIAL:

John Green, the author, is a good time:






5 comments:

  1. Excellent choice of a teen book, Lisa. I was amazed at how much humor the author could weave into a book with such an incredibly sad premise. But so much food for thought! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book. I'm so glad you read it and wrote about it! :) It's a good teen read AND adult read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel bad. As much as I admire John Green and his brother Hank and all they do to decrease world suck, I have yet to read Fault in Our Stars. You have reminded me to put this book back on my list, thank you and DFTBA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok,
    I am going to read it but I need a cookie if I don't like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also heard that the movie rights were recently picked up and that a screenplay is already in the works. I hope that it lives up to the awesomeness that is this book!

    ReplyDelete