Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Wanderlust Librarian | Dear 16 year old Rena....

Reading Dear Me: Letters to My 16 Year Old Self  gave me the confidence to write a letter to my 16 year old self. I'd like to share that letter with you. Enjoy. 

Dear Me, 

I found the diaries you wrote in when you were 11 or 12 and almost all of the things were about travel. I am now in my 30s (GASP). Don't worry, we still look pretty young! :D

I know that you've failed your driver's test twice and you're very sad about (possibly) not ever driving or going anywhere, but don't worry, you'll get a license (third time's a charm!). You'll be the happiest, safest, and slowest driver around! You'll drive everywhere and love every minute of it. 


My greatest advice to you: travel more. 
Travel alone, travel with others...just go. 


  • Learn some foreign languages and some history about the places you're going. 
  • Being polite goes a long way. You may not know how to speak Chinese but a smile is international goodwill. 
  • Read books. LOTS of books! You'll learn a lot about culture and social norms. The information will come in handy at some point in your life. 
  • When you travel with people, find time for yourself. Sometimes you'll want to see something or do an activity that nobody else is interested in. Do it. If you don't, you'll regret not going or doing. You're worth the time. 
  • Just because you're friends with someone, doesn't mean they'll be a good travel companion. Take a short trip to see what they're like. A person's true personality comes out when they're far from home. 
  • Save. Save. Save for travel. You never know when a good deal will come up. 
  • Read travel guides by Rick Steves . The man knows his travel.
  • Don't be afraid of your interests. You are unique and not everyone is going to like visiting cemeteries. 
  • Relax. Your life is awesome. It's full of ups and downs and rivers of tears at times...but they make you who you will become. 
I'll write some more later. After all,  I write a lot and there's a lot I still want to tell you. 

Take care of yourself, 

Love, Me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment