Saturday, September 28, 2013

Teens Only | Scavenger Hunt

So when I was really, really young -- I think this might have been when I was a Camp Fire girl -- I participated in my first ever scavenger hunt. Doesn't "scavenger hunt" just sound so exciting? Of course, none of us really knew what a scavenger hunt was. 

In the days leading up to the big event, I started imagining a group of kids searching through dirty, smelly garbage cans. Let me tell you, the excitement over the upcoming hunt started to lose its allure.

What's a scavenger hunt, you ask? The American Heritage Dictionary defines a scavenger hunt as follows:  A game in which individuals or teams try to locate and bring back miscellaneous items on a list.

That scavenger hunt I was in turned out to be a lot of fun. Groups of us were sent off in search of odd things. We knocked on neighbors' doors and thankfully were met with nice people who were more than happy to help us in our quests. I can't remember what odd things we were sent to find, though. 

Sounds rather fun, don't you think? If you were making a scavenger hunt, what items would be on your list? I'd probably opt for "find a piece of pizza" (preferably fresh...for me to eat). Or maybe something like "find a popsicle stick" (with the popsicle still on it, of course). Hello. You know I'm always thinking of food.

I know what would be fun. Maybe I'd list "take a picture of a human pyramid."

Well, back to scavenger hunts. I've got some exciting news for you. There will be a YA Scavenger Hunt from October 3-6 -- starting and ending at noon. Looks like it's all about great new books and READING! And there are a ton of awesome prizes! You can learn more about it here. And here is the blurb from the website: 

What's This All About?

The YA Scavenger Hunt is a biannual online event that promotes collaboration between YA authors from different publishing houses, offering fans an opportunity to see the latest and greatest in young adult literature. During the hunt, we showcase exclusive bonus material, give readers access to top secret insider information, and offer fabulous prizes and giveaways for zealous YA fans. 
Looks like fun. 

In the meantime, if you want to meet an author live and in person, join us at 6 pm today -- at the Cesar Chavez Central Library -- when we will welcome Nina Sankovitch, author of Tolstoy and the Purple Chair, this year's One Book, One San Joaquin featured title. It promises to be a wonderful evening.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment