Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Wanderlust Librarian| Books in the City of Angels

On my travels, I try to visit one new library or bookstore. When I say "bookstore" I'm not talking about a chain bookstore or one in an airport. I refer to a local store that is exclusive to that city. I work in a library, so it's only natural that one of my comfort zones is around books. 



An information desk made of books?
In a bookstore? Genius! 
Before I went to Los Angeles, I read a great article on KCRW about a place called the Last Bookstore. The Last Bookstore.....ominous, isn't it? In a time when many people turn to the Internet to purchase their book-wares, there are still gems in cities around the country that still cater to rows of tangible literature! The pictures in the blog really drew me in and made me crave this place as a destination that I needed  to visit. Check out my blog inspiration, here



The Last Bookstore's previous life was a bank!

Even though I go to Los Angeles frequently, it's much like San Francisco in that there are many pockets and neighborhoods that I am yet to explore. It's intimidating to me because I'm not as familiar with the neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean I'm not ready to embark on an adventure! For the first time in my life, I took the Los Angeles Metro System. The Last Bookstore was a few short blocks away from the Underground Metro stop. It was convenient and fun! 



To say that The Last Bookstore was a wonderland would be an understatement. There was a whimsical feel once you entered the building. Not only were there books and records (music records!!), there was art made from books and paper. 
The first artwork that greeted me
as I walked into the store
Books FLY off the shelves here! 























A really cool art wall WAY up high towards
the ornate ceiling is made from tons of
paperback books! 




Art was everywhere. The walls, the front desk, corners and upstairs... art helped to define the space in a new and interesting way. Upstairs, there are artist spaces and display areas and  magical book maze called the Labyrinth. 

The view from the second floor
looking down onto the entrance

The Labyrinth is a maze of books that takes up half of the floor. I was reminded of Hogwarts and a place where books live. The best part? All books in the Labyrinth are $1 per book. I can't even BEGIN to describe the magic, so enjoy these pictures! It's too good to be true! 

A magical place where the books are
separated by color! 
An old bank vault houses fantasy books 






























A book tunnel of epic proportions! 

















You can walk THROUGH the book tunnel!!! 

















Do you have a suggestion for me? Share it in the comments! I write down the names of these places in a notebook I carry with me always! My eyes and ears are always open to these wonderful warehouses of literature.. Friends who know I am traveling somewhere are quick to share where they go or what they've heard. I love these suggestions. I, in turn, will share the same knowledge to my friends and family.

Book adventures are out there. If you find yourself in Los Angeles, do yourself a favor and visit this amazing place. You won't be disappointed! 

I dare you peek into the Last Bookstore when you
visit Los Angeles!! 







2 comments:

  1. You know, I'm glad you wrote about this place because if I had just looked at the website I wouldn't have had any interest. They really should do more to show their unique/amazing space on the site. - Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many pictures, it was hard for me to choose. I may just have to do a blog post on the art space there!

    I definitely agree that it's a shame that they don't show more of the space!

    ReplyDelete