Saturday, April 27, 2013

Teens Only | Eat Up

Did you know? The principal asparagus production area in California is the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta area. Let's hear it for the great stuff growing in our own backyard! In fact, California produces more than 70% of the nation's fresh market asparagus. And this weekend marks the annual festival in honor of this tasty crop: The Stockton Asparagus Festival. If you've never gone, you have to give it a try. You'll find me in line for the deep-fried asparagus. I know I should perhaps try something a little healthier, but that is one tasty dish! And I hear this year there will be aspara-berry shortcake. I'll definitely give that a try.
 

My Dad worked in the agriculture industry, so not only did I grow up really appreciating the many wonderful fruits and vegetables grown in our area, but I also had quick access to a beautiful variety of yummy edibles growing in my Dad's garden in our backyard. Thanks, Dad.

So if you've been in a grocery store in the past weeks and cruised through the produce section, you've seen bunches of asparagus. What is asparagus, you ask?

I checked Asparagus Facts online to learn a little more:
  1. Once a field of asparagus is harvested, it will continue to produce for 15-20 years.
  2. Under ideal conditions, an asparagus spear can grow 10" in a 24-hour period.
  3. Asparagus has no fat, contains no cholesterol and is low in sodium.
And for some gardening and cooking tips, check out Mel Bartholomew's All New Square Foot Gardening Cookbook. Healthy and inexpensive additions to every meal. You gotta love it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Celebrate the bounty of  San Joaquin County! If you get to the Asparagus Festival, have a great time.
 
And as always, happy reading!
 
--Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment