Thursday, April 25, 2013

Book Bucket List | The Great Harry Potter Reread

Anyone who knows me, even just a little bit, knows that I am a huge Harry Potter fan.  When the books were being released, my friends and I would dress up as HP characters and get to Barnes and Noble around 7 pm for the midnight releases. (I was always Ginny.)  Online, I saw that some bloggers were trying to get a bunch of people to do a reread of the series this summer.  I have to admit I've reread a few of the books... a lot.  Especially Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince, those two I can pick up and start anywhere.  I was thinking this summer of spacing out the series over a few months and reading them in order.  

So today, I am going to feature two of the Harry Potter series.  One of them is my favorite, and the other is my friend John's favorite.  I've asked him to write a little on why he likes Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire the most, and I will tell you why I like Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is my favorite.

From the desk of John:
"First, I loved all the H.P. books, but if I had to choose a favorite, it would be the Goblet of Fire. The book stands out for me for a few reasons. First, in this book we really see the growth and development of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They are no longer children, but teenagers beginning to explore the world around them. We see this with the Weasleys inviting Harry and Hermione to the Quidditch World Cup. We also see the group begin to be exposed to new groups of wizards their own age. I loved the interactions that came as a result of the introductions of two other schools of wizardry: Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. Remember towards the beginning of the book when Ron idolized Victor Krum at the Quidditch World Cup? Funny how that changed. Which leads me to another development that I enjoyed, and kinda caught me off guard. In this book we see the three exploring their feelings outside of the group. Harry finds affection for Cho, not Hermione, Hermione finds herself taken by Victor Krum and not Harry, and Ron is infatuated by Fleur Delacour. It was funny watching Harry work up the nerve to eventually ask Cho to the Yule Ball, only to be shot down, because he asked too late! Probably the only time you will ever see Harry shot down! Two much good stuff to squeeze into one measly paragraph, that the blogger limited me to. She clearly is biased" 


My retort:
 Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is my favorite HP book.   I love this book because it is the year when Harry, Ron, Hermione, and even Draco outgrow Hogwarts.  Their relationships are developing and emotions are becoming more complex.  Hermione's jealousy over Lavender, Ron's jealousy over Cormac McLaggen, and Harry's infatuation with Ginny are developments that happen in this book which start to effect the way the characters see and treat each other.  It is also has what I consider to be the darkest hour in the whole series, the aftermath of the Death Eater's attack and MASSIVE SPOILER!  (If you haven't read this I really don't want to ruin it for you.)  The book also gives a lot of information about Professor Snape, one of my favorite characters.  The end really leaves the reader shocked and leaves the wizarding world in a very dark place and it forces the characters to grow up in ways they never expected.


So once we hit June 1, (Which is also, might I add, the beginning of the summer reading program.) I will start to reread Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.  Hopefully I could use it to check off a box for my summer reading card!

No comments:

Post a Comment