Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Learning | Robots!

I recently fell in love with an easy reader book. Cece Bell's Rabbit & Robot: the Sleepover has several points in its favor.  

First, there's a robot in it. Robots are held in high regard, in my household.  My husband loves trying to get those robot floor vacuums to clean the house. Personally, I think Rosie Jetson would do a better job, and it would be more fun listening to her.  (If I had a Rosie, would she call me "Mrs. J?")  

My youngest son has dabbled around with robotics for years. In fact, he wants to build robots for a living. He outgrew easy readers at least thirteen years ago, but even he declared this an awesome book.




Second, this book was the recipient of a 2013 Geisel Honor. The Geisel Award is named after Theodor Seuss Geisel ("Dr. Seuss,") an author whose books for early readers have permeated our culture with humor, creativity, and rhymes.  The Geisel Award recognizes outstanding books for beginning readers.  

Third, it's funny! Just think about what a rabbit might want to eat on his pizza. Then think about what a robot might want to eat on his pizza. What would happen if they tried to play cards or watch TV?  How do they get ready for bed?  This book is full of surprises, like the lists that the characters write.


_______________________________

Robogames


If you are interested in robots, I would suggest trying to go to the Robogames 2013 at the San Mateo County Fairgrounds.  It is being held the weekend of April 19-21.  

I was able to attend last year.  The main attraction is the Battlebot-like tournament of fighting robots. I didn't take any pictures of the battles, because my son was doing that. There are plenty of booths with peaceful robots and educational activities; I spent more time in those areas, taking pictures of robots playing basketball or talking.

A weary competitor
This robot plays basketball!
People come from all over the world, to share their accomplishments and products related to the world of robotics.  There are teams from schools, competing to race their robots through mazes.  

Robot playing a bass guitar














Scholars make presentations about their endeavors in the field of robotics.  Last year, I saw the founder of Instructables.com tell how the website was founded; it all started with the desire to teach people how to build simple robots. Another person explained how she created robot parties on the internet, for people's robots to meet virtually and talk to each other. 

It's a very noisy place, when the battles are happening; I would recommend bringing some earplugs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment