Tuesday, March 19, 2013

4 Kids | The Book That Won't Leave Me

Ever read one of those books that grabs you and doesn't let you go? You know...that book that even after (long after) you've read the last sentence and put it down, it's still with you.
It's been a week since I finished After Eli by Rebecca Rupp. In this heart-gripping story, we spend time with narrator Daniel who is trying to come to terms with the death of his older, hero brother Eli. Eli died at the age of 22 in Iraq. Daniel faces many obstacles on this road to coming to terms, not the least of which are parents who have their own issues and the age-old struggle of being part of the "in" group or being loyal to a true friend (who is a bit of a geek). Throughout his journey, Daniel is writing a "Book of the Dead" in which he collects facts about some of the more unusual demises in history.
  
And even though this book is based on a whole lot of sadness, there is still quite a bit of funny. Daniel falls for the beautiful, free-spirited Isabelle. She's just too cool. But the funny comes in the form of her younger twin siblings, Jasper and Journey. I laughed out loud at some of their antics.
Trust me: you'll laugh and you'll cry as you read this book.
But as I said at the beginning, this book just won't let me go! I've been trying to find the life lesson I'm supposed to learn from this book. And it finally hit me. It's about the importance of remembering. At least that's what I think.
  
So pardon me while I do a little remembering. I remember a friend who was really cool, really talented, really everything! I think our friendship started when I was about 4 or 5. Later, we found ourselves part of a pretty remarkable jazz band in high school, and then we were part of a larger group of friends as young adults. Oh, I forgot to mention: my friend was not only half of one of the best local musical duos ever, he was also a musical genius! And I know, without a doubt, he was destined for rock 'n' roll stardom. But my friend was taken from us way too young.  
Reading this book made me realize how important it is to remember those that have really impacted our lives -- those that have changed us in a positive way. It's a way of honoring them and telling the world how much that person mattered. I think that's what Daniel is doing. 
So that's what I'm doing too. I remember Marvin -- my protector in high school, my music mentor, my model of practical joker-ness, my friend. I feel so honored to have known him -- and to have had the chance to stand in his light. Thank you, Marvin.
Read the book. You won't be disappointed.

See you next Tuesday. -- Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment