Saturday, February 16, 2013

Teens Only | Don't Judge a Book By Its Title

So I stumbled upon a new book the other day: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. It's written by Benjamin Alire Saenz.
Now, no offense to Mr. Saenz. But I thought: Aristotle and Dante? Oh boy.
 
Aristotle was an ancient Greek philosopher and scientist....and considered one of the greatest intellectual figures of Western history.
 
And Dante. First of all, I just learned his full name was Durante degli Alighieri, but I guess he just went by Dante. Anyway. He was a major Italian poet of the Middle Ages, known best for his Divine Comedy.
 
I like to think of myself as intellectually curious (most of the time), but Aristotle and Dante aren't on my list to read...in the near future.
 
So when I saw this new book which, by the way, is a Printz 2013 Honor Book, I thought.....really?
 
But being the good librarian I am, I picked it up....and then could not put it down.
 
Please refer here to the title of this post: Don't judge a book by its title.
 
Oh. My. Gosh.
 
It's a fantastic book. And I want to be very careful and not say too much about it because I don't want to give away any of the wonderful plot (that I just KNOW will pull you in like it pulled me in).
 
Ari (Aristotle) and Dante are two teenagers who fall into an unlikely friendship when they meet up one summer at the neighborhood pool. Prior to their meeting, they're both rather friendless. And it's not like they're creepy or anything. They're just a little different from others their age.
 
So they become friends. And their friendship grows. They talk about things that are pretty deep: art, literature, their Mexican-American roots. And they're so real with each other.
 
And then something big happens. Didn't see it coming. Not going to tell you what it is. But it's big.
 
And then another something big happens. And it's really big. And it shows the depth and loyalty of Ari and Dante's friendship. And it will make you think...like so many great books...about your own ability to truly be a friend. How far would you go for a friend?
 
I really, really liked this book. And I really, really hope you'll pick it up and read it.
 
And if you do, please post a comment below and let me know what you think.
 
It's so true that you can't judge a book by its title. Give this one a try.
 
Until next week, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment