Tuesday, February 5, 2013

4 Kids | I'm All Ears

Greetings kids! 

As promised, I've been reading, reading, reading. (And I hope you have too!)

Getting knocked down by that awful flu allowed me plenty of time to read in bed. 

I want to share one book with you that I've not mentioned before: R. J. Palacio's Wonder. I can't remember reading a book that left me so moved and so encouraged by the kindness of others. This is a book I can 100% recommend to all of you young readers. I think you'll be changed as a result of reading it.

Wonder is the story of August Pullman, a 5th grader born with a facial deformity that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a regular school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face. One of the coolest things about this book is that it begins with Auggie's point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others. It is the combination of all these perspectives that let the reader really understand the characters' struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.

I really like that the author has called this book "a meditation on kindness.” What a great -- and accurate -- description! And when you read it, you'll no doubt take time to reflect on how loyal of a friend you really are. 

We've got lots of copies of this book at SSJCPL branch libraries. Stop by and pick one up; if one isn't on the shelf at your branch library, request a copy! I promise you won't be disappointed.

And so dear readers, now a request from me to you: What are you reading? Please, please, please (did I mention, please?) recommend your favorite book to me. I promise I'll read it, and write about it here. Just type in a title in the Comment section below.

Until next week, happy reading!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment