Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Learning | Lifelong Learning

In my last post, I did say I never liked making New Year's resolutions, didn't I?  My opinion hasn't changed. But if you're looking around for a spare resolution, I have a few suggestions.

You might consider the idea of lifelong learning.   There's a new book called  Learn something new every day : 365 facts to fulfill your life .  At least this one should get you  through your first year of lifelong learning. As I'm writing this post, all five copies of this title are checked out--maybe because it is written by National Public Radio Librarian Kee Malesky. As soon as I saw this title in the catalog, I looked for the catalog subject headings attached to the record, and I learned two new things.  
  • First, I learned a new word: vade-mecum, because the first subject heading was "Handbooks, vade-mecums, etc." Vade-mecums are handbooks or manuals that are intended to be carried around for ready reference. This subject heading sounds so useful! I wonder why we only have 36 titles with that heading.  
  • Second, I learned of another subject heading. It's called "Curiosities and wonders", and it's chock full of fodder for the curious mind. When I last checked, our library system had 168 titles attached to that subject heading.  
 
Give yourself a classical education. There is a book that will guide you through the process.  It's called The Well-Educated Mind: A Guide to the Classical Education You Never Had. This ambitious tome provides an introduction to the reading and appreciation of fiction, autobiographies, history, drama and poetry. There are lists of recommended books with synopses.  Even though I don't feel the need to make a resolution to get a classical education, I think I may turn to this book, when I'm looking for some good reading material. 

No comments:

Post a Comment