Monday, August 4, 2014

Just Life | My Maneki-Neko Cat

Do you believe in good luck charms? 

Well, I do. 

I have this yellow ceramic cat at my work desk which brings me good luck.

I know it is silly, but I choose to believe that this little yellow ceramic cat is my good luck charm.

My ceramic cat is a Maneki-Neko cat or a beckoning cat.
You can see these Maneki-Neko cats in front of most Japanese and Chinese businesses inviting customers in.

There is a story behind the Maneki-Neko cats. Legend has it that long ago, a wealthy Japanese man took shelter under a tree during a storm. The tree was close to a temple. He noticed a cat outside the temple trying to get his attention. So, he started to follow the cat into the temple. Then all of a sudden, lightening struck the tree. 

The wealthy man, believing that the cat saved his life, became the benefactor of that temple and that temple became prosperous because of it.

On a recent trip to the Byodo-In Temple on the island of Oahu, I bought two Maneki-Neko cats. One for me and one for my mom who was waiting for a medical test result.

Byodo-In Temple
So, my new Maneki-Neko cat is sitting in our living room right in front of the door and my mom's test result came very good.

My new kitty
Once again, the Maneki-Neko cat has brought me good luck. 

So, are you courageous enough to reveal your good luck charm? 

Here are a few books about superstitions:

The dictionary of superstitions 

They don't wash their socks! : sports superstitions

Signing off until next Monday- Panteha








No comments:

Post a Comment