Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Wanderlust Librarian | The Beauty of the Snap Decision

My life is ruled by a schedule.

When I'm at work, it tells me what desk I work at a specific time. When I'm at home, my daughter's soccer dictates where I'm supposed to be to take her to practice or games. The alarm blares and tells me when to wake up in the morning. At night, Jimmy Fallon is a gentle reminder that it's close to (or past) midnight and it's time for me to go to bed. 

About a month ago, a friend had offered me a chance to see a movie in a private screening about 3 weeks before its general release. It was in Los Angeles. The schedule-bound bloggess told him to "have a great time". I was sad. I really wanted to see the movie. This movie is based on a best selling book. To read a fair review of the book, please click here. If you'd like to request this book in the library system, make sure and click this link and pick your format! 

My daughter, Scout, told me that I would be stupid if I didn't take a chance and just go. In less than 40 minutes, I made the decision to do it. I was terrified. Never in my life had I made any travel decision as quick as this one. Take a good, strong look at this post that I wrote. I'm a planner by nature. I have binders dedicated to the trips I take!  Then I read my own words: 
     
        There is no perfect way to plan any trip.

Oh, bloggess... were you so wise as to know that there was going to be a time when you would be advising yourself? Because it certainly felt like it when I read it. 

I had the mode of transportation, but I still needed to make sure I had lodging. In a loving act of kindness and heart, friends eagerly offered up a couch to me for the duration of my last minute travels. 

This decision, though, was not without its challenges. On my drive up to Los Angeles, I started to cry because this was the scariest thing I've ever done! My schedule-bound self was distraught and manifesting itself in tears and tantrums. It must have looked weird to the people in their passing cars to see a girl crying and blathering on to herself. 

Everything turned out fine. I got to Los Angeles safely, saw a fantastic movie (that I paid to see again) and made it home without any incident. 

Would I do this again? Probably not in the near future. It's just too scary and unknown (and I'm a chicken!!). 

Readers, I will say... Take a chance on yourself! Take a chance on doing something different! Surprise yourself! You're definitely worth it! 

xoxo
The Bloggess

No comments:

Post a Comment