Thursday, January 16, 2014

Book Bucket List | Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

A while ago, I was asking for books to feature in a post for Valentine's Day.  A friend recommended Jamie Ford's Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and I added it to my "romantic books" list.  It's been awhile since I wrote the post, but I never forgot that book was one I wanted to read.  So this weekend, I finally picked it up and gave it a go, and I LOVED IT.  It had history, featured my favorite city (Seattle), and had a wonderful, and at times heart wrenching, story about two people living in a tumultuous time.

The story is told from the perspective of Henry, a young Chinese-American boy attending an all-white prep school in Seattle in 1942.  He hates his school, but attends because of all the trouble his parents went through to get him into the school on scholarship.  However, things are looking up for Henry when Keiko, a Japanese-American girl starts at the school and begins working with him in the cafeteria.  They start spending time together, which Henry's father absolutely does not approve of, and you can imagine what happens next.  However, with the war developing in the East, American hackles are up and before they know it, Keiko and her family are facing deportation to Japanese Internment camps.  The story focuses on how far one is willing to go for the one they love and how much people can change and adapt to their circumstances.

Jamie Ford released Songs of Willow Frost this last year and am reading it as soon as I can get my hands on a copy.

So as a thank you to my friend who recommended this wonderful book to me, here is a picture of some turtles, because she does indeed love turtles.


No comments:

Post a Comment