Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Learning | Weird Writing Tips from Dan Gutman


 

If you are around books for school age children much, you have probably seen Dan Gutman's popular series, My Weird School. If you have seen them, you have probably laughed at some of the silly titles in the series, like Miss Mary is Scary! or Mr. Granite is From Another Planet!

I am pleased to say that Mr. Gutman has a new nonfiction book out, called My Weird Writing Tips. What can I say about a book whose introduction has the headline, "Don't be a dumbhead?" That's a pretty good tip right there. The characters from the My Weird School series are used to teach writing to kids, in cartoons to show which word to use when. There are even quotes famous people like Henry David Thoreau, Mark Twain, and P.D. James--all of whom know a thing or two about writing.

I like his discussions of where to get ideas for topics, the importance of taking the time to write something all over again the right way, and to keep studying the best writers. 

The cover of the book is says it's for ages 8 to 12, but I always look at such labels as guidelines.  I think I picked up a tip or two for my own grownup self here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment