Tuesday, April 2, 2013

4 Kids | Interview With a Reader

So I'm trying something a little different today. I'm interviewing a reader. And full disclosure: it's a reader I've known since the day she was born. It's my 12 year old niece, Madeline. I thought I would get Madeline's take on some great books. So here goes!
Me: What are you reading right now?
Madeline: Starlight by Erin Hunter. (That's Book 4 in Warriors: The New Prophecy series. It's the story of when the warrior cat Clans arrive at their new home and set about exploring and fighting over the unfamiliar territory.)
Me: Are you loving it, liking it, or not sure yet?
Madeline: Liking it.
Me: Do you read for fun everyday?
Madeline: Um, no.
(At this point I fainted (almost) and had to get a grip before continuing. The niece of a librarian not reading every day? What would people say? So I took a few deep breaths, and continued with the interview.)
Me: (hopefully) Every other day?
Madeline: Well, every once in a while.
(She must have heard the pain and despair in my voice. She quickly added.)
Madeline: I've been really busy raising my dog.
(Ok, truth be told, Madeline is a huge animal lover, and takes really great care of her animals. I'm going to let her slide on the not reading every day thing.)
Me: What is your favorite book ever?
Madeline: The Lost Heir by Tui Sutherland. (That's Book 2 in The Wings of Fire series. Here's the blurb from our library catalog: Overjoyed to be reunited with her fellow ocean-dwelling dragons, Tsunami the SeaWing continues efforts to end the war for Pyrrhia in spite of a dangerous assassin who is threatening all their lives.)
Me: Why is that your favorite book?
Madeline: "Number one, it has dragons. Number two, it has battles. And number three, it's about family."
Me: What's your favorite subject in school?
Madeline: History.
Me: Not English or Language Arts?
Madeline: History.
Me: Are you sure?
Madeline: History.
(I figured I needed to move on before angering my interview subject.)
Me: Off the top of your head, recommend a book to me that you think I will love. (I think I already know what the answer will be.)
Madeline: "Warriors, 1st series, book 6. I can't remember the title." (That's The Darkest Hour, by the way. And here is the blurb about this book, also from our library catalog: ThunderClan's darkest hour is upon them and Fireheart, the warrior cat, must protect his clan from a threat unlike any the forest has ever seen, as the time comes for prophecies to unfold and heroes to rise. )
(By the way, most of these books are in the teen section of the library. However, my niece isn't the first "pre-teen" who has read and loved these books. And funny thing, "Erin Hunter" is actually a pseudonym for several authors, one of whom is Tui Sutherland!)
Me: Why is reading important to you?
(I was rather thrilled that she didn't hesitate at all when answering this question.)
Madeline: It's helps me get lost, takes me out of my mind and whatever I'm thinking about. (I LOVE this answer!!)
(Worrying that she probably had animal duties to attend to, I thought I should bring this interview to a close. I already had quite a few books added to my "to read" list. I hope you do too! And I am totally looking forward to talking to her about them when I finish. But one more question.)
Me: Who's your favorite aunt?
Madeline: (giggling) That's hard to say. I can't decide.
I could have changed that last answer. I thought about it. But that's Madeline. She's so kind and so fair. And I'm so very, very proud of her.
So there you have it: recommendations from a (wonderful) 12 year old reader.
Happy Reading!

3 comments:

  1. What a fun article! Your niece sounds like a sweetheart and the relationship you have a good one. I will have to check out the books she talked about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. Hope you enjoy the books as much as she (obviously) does! And I'll be reading them too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally blew my mind that Erin Hunter is a pseudonym for several authors. I thought it was one woman writing it. Excellent interview and excellent information!

    ReplyDelete