Tuesday, January 15, 2013

4 Kids | Dear Mr. President

With President Obama's second inauguration just a few days away (Sunday, January 20th, in case you were wondering), I started thinking about what a hugely important job being the President of the United States is. And then I thought: If I had the chance to meet President Obama, what would I ask him? (I hope I would ask something really smart.)

What would you ask the President of the United States?

The Smithsonian's website has some cool activities for kids. In the American Presidency exhibit, there are letters that ordinary kids have written to the President! And then there are tips on how you can write your own letter to the President. 

I think I'll write a letter to the President. 

How come we don't write letters that much anymore? Oh, I know we ALL email all the time, but that's not the same. I'm talking about the old-fashioned letter writing where you use a pen and paper, then put it in an envelope with a stamp and mail it! 

When's the last time you wrote a letter....the old-fashioned kind? I think we should all write an old-fashioned letter this week! Maybe not to the President, but I'm sure there is someone who lives far away that you can write to.

Which reminds me....I just stumbled across a great book that I have to tell you about! It's Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel. This book is a letter from a Dad to his children who are away visiting their Grandmother. In the letter, the Dad remembers how much their tree -- named Steve -- has meant in their lives. It's a cool message about appreciating what you have and the importance of being able to count on others. And it's a letter! A letter! A beautiful letter, even if might make you get a little teary-eyed.


So who are you going to write a letter to?

Happy Writing!


2 comments:

  1. Writing letters is becoming a lost art. It is far more permanent in nature than an email. It involves pause, consideration and sensitivity. I worry at its demise. Thank you for encouraging this important method of communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite welcome! I think I'll take this weekend to write to several family members and ask them to turn around and do the same. Maybe we'll start something!

    ReplyDelete