Thursday, November 22, 2012

Book Bucket List | Gone Girl

On my own Book Bucket List, I do have quite a few classics and well known books.  However, it also has a TON of new books on it too.  One of the hottest books right now is Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl.  I have seen this book everywhere. (Though working at a library, this should probably be expected with hot new books.)  When a friend of mine started raving about it, I finally decided to pay attention to all of the hype.

Gillian Flynn is known for being one of the best suspense writers around, and Gone Girl is said to be one of her best books.  When Nick and Amy Dunne are about to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary, Amy suddenly goes missing and Nick is a suspect in her disappearance.  This is not your typical "wife goes missing and it's the husband" story.  Flynn's storytelling is very sharp, leaving the reader eager to move on to find out what happens next after each chapter ends.  She also shows deep psychological acumen, which really give a lot of realism and depth to her characters.  There are so many twists and turns, it was hard to put down.  The second half of the book really turned away from "the husband did it" theme and really puts Gone Girl into a class of it's own.

I generally don't read a lot of suspense and thrillers, but after being on my list for quite some time, I finally decided to read it.  I am so glad that I finally picked it up!  I will probably now go on to check out Flynns other novels Sharp Objects and Dark Places, which have both won awards and made best sellers lists.

No comments:

Post a Comment