Monday, December 8, 2014

Just Life| Let It Snow

When I was a kid, almost every winter in Tehran, they would close schools for a couple of days due to heavy snow. 

I loved those snowy days.

It was great to skip school and to spend the day playing in the snow with the neighborhood kids.

But with snow, came the dreaded job of shoveling the snow. 

We have flat roofs in Tehran and in winter, you have to shovel that snow from the roof before it collapses on top of you.

Our rooftop looked like this huge rectangular cake covered with whipped cream frosting.

Then, we would slice and shovel this winter cake one row at a time until it was all eaten up by our hungry shovels.

Since my dad was a teacher, on those snowy days, me, my dad, and my brother would go to the roof to clear the snow.

My poor mom couldn't share our fun. She was in the Air Force and she had to show up to work even when they were dropping bombs from the sky. (Literally)

Anyway, 

The snow on the roof didn't have any place to go but on top of our flower beds in our front yard.

At the end of the day, we had this huge heap of snow on top of our flower beds that lingered sometimes all the way into Spring.

Here in Stockton, we never experience the beauty of winter first hand.

So, this winter, I wish upon the stars for some heavy snow, so our kids can skip school and stay home and play in the snow until their noses look like Rudolph.

Until then,

Let's just keep on reading.

Signing off until next Monday- Panteha







No comments:

Post a Comment