Monday, June 16, 2014

Just Life| Bliss of No Electricity

A few days ago, our neighborhood lost electricity for almost three hours. The blackout started around 6:00 pm and lasted until 9:00pm.

Then something amazing happened. My neighborhood came alive and it started buzzing with activities.

My daughter dragged me outside because it was getting really dark inside and I reluctantly agreed to go outside with her. When I opened the door, I was amazed to see so many of my neighbors.

"Wow, we have this many neighbors" was the first thought that came to mind. 

I had never seen that many neighborhood kids playing outside. There was a festive mood in the air. There was a collective happiness, humming in that semi-dark street that night.

I want more of these blackouts so I can enjoy the company of my neighbors.

When I was a kid back in Iran, we had many blackouts in Tehran and on those nights, we had nothing to do but to sit around a couple of oil lamps doing nothing but talking with one another.

So at the end, I was happy that we lost electricity for three hours and I was forced to enjoy the company of my elusive neighbors for a few hours.

Nikola Tesla and the taming of electricity

Empires of light : Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the race to electrify the world



Signing off until next Monday- Panteha

No comments:

Post a Comment