Thursday, June 19, 2014

Book Bucket List | China Dolls

A lot of the times when I find an author I really like, I end up binging on their books until I've read all, or with some, a good percentage of their work.  When I discovered the author, Lisa See, a couple of years ago,  I first read Shanghai Girls and then it's sequel Dreams of Joy.  That duo follows a family's immigration from China to America from the perspectives of two very different sisters.  I read two more of See's books, Peony in Love and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.  See's books are full of dynamic and unique female characters.

Lisa See's latest book, China Dolls, just arrived at our library system.  The book takes place in San Francisco and follows the stories of three very different women.  These women form a strong friendship despite their stark differences in personality, upbringing, and status.  However, their bonds of friendship are strained once Pearl Harbor is bombed, marking the start of World War II for the United States.   Along with the well developed characters, I'm really enjoying the descriptions of San Francisco in the 1940's.  See always does a lot of research for her books so she can make them come alive with accurate and colorful descriptions.

I'm about half way through this book right now.  The further along I get the more secrets about the characters, Grace, Helen, and Ruby, come out.  I can't wait to finish to see what happens to each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment