Saturday, May 17, 2014

Teens Only | #onedayonedeed

Greetings!

I know you're all busy with school winding down, so this post shall be short! 

I saw something on TV about the 100 Good Deeds Bracelet. It's a cool bracelet made up of 100 beads. But cooler still is the purpose behind it. Here's the info from the website:

Because work gives dignity and freedom...each purchase employs one vulnerable woman...

Because it opens us to see the need for compassion and to hear the call for kindness...

Because you can change the world one deed, one bead, one act of kindness at a time...

Because you matter.

I don't think I need to say anything more.

I bought one. You don't have to buy one to commit to random acts of kindness, however. 

But I bought one because in this busy, busy world in which we find ourselves, there are many days that -- let's face it -- start out rather crummy and go south from there. Just the other day I slept through my alarm (twice), had no cream for my coffee, got stuck in a huge traffic jam, and spilled coffee (without cream!) all over my new white blouse. That was all before 8 am! 

That was one of those days I could have used a reminder to be kind. To be generous. To do something good for somebody else instead of focusing on my own negatives.

Seriously! This is NOT a promotion to make you buy the bracelet. 

But this IS an opportunity for you to do something really, really good for young people in your community.

Summer Book Buddies will return to the Chavez Library in June. This is a fun tutoring program to help children entering 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grades who are struggling with reading. Teens 14 years and older with a 3.0 GPA are very welcome to join us for a fun and rewarding experience.

There will be a training on Saturday, June 7 from 10 am until 12 pm. Refreshments will be provided. Book Buddies runs Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in June and July.

Be a part of this wonderful community program. Help others. Do something really good!

Questions? Call (209) 937-7012. 

In the meantime, best of luck with the end of the school year!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment