Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Wanderlust Librarian | Throw Back Thursday: Have you seen any British People?

It was *cough2008cough* when my best friend Lizzie and I had thrown about an idea to travel to London. There was always an allure about the British that I wanted to experience first hand. After all, I already loved watching British shows and adored British actors (I love you, Colin Firth!!). Why not go the extra mile and experience the magic in person? It took us about 6 months to plan and reserve everything for our trip. 

During our British adventure, I wrote about my experiences and I'd like to share one of my favorite posts with you. Enjoy! 

----------
March 17, 2009
We've had a long day. A loooooong day!



Let me preface by saying, we were...are both tired nellies, but have gotten through the day with grace and humility. If you're in Califonia, please keep in mind that Lizzie and I are 7 hours ahead, so as I'm writing this at 11:30 PM, it's an early 4:30PM there. If I mention time, in the posts from London, it will be GMT and not California time. Feel free to do your own math!

We landed at about 7:15 AM after circling Heathrow. We got off the plane at about 8:00 after circling the gates. It was a ginormous pain the the rear to get off that plane. I can only speak for myself when I say I didn't sleep a wink on the plane. Not to say I didn't try. I did. It was really noisy in the plane when I tried to nod off. Noisy like... machine noisy, not people noisy.

When Lizzie and I went on the Tube.... we were following the lead of the locals and remaining quiet and non-squealing. We couldn't help but give a smile when the recording told us to "Mind the Gap"

It took us a while to get from Heathrow to the Tower Hill station to meet the gentleman who would be giving us the keys to our flat. It's a great little area, but it is a little bit of a walk from our flat to the Tower Hill Tube station. We lugged our luggage from the station to the flat. I threw a fit. Yes.... I threw a fit. It was a combination of being up for about 24 hours, 2 hours of sleep and a lot of transport in between.

Needless to say, we got to the flat and we found out it wouldn't be ready for about an hour and a. half. We wasted time at the supermarket, Waitrose. It's a lovely little store. Not little... but it IS lovely. We got some tasties for us to eat at the flat. I'll be sure to post pictures. On the way back from the store, I got 2 charley horses. One in each leg. It rendered me (almost) crying on the ground. It hurt like crazy! When I said it made me feel old, some little old lady came bounding up the stairs next to us. It was irony at it's finest. Well played, Irony.... well played.

As a side note, I quickly called Scout (my daughter) and she asked me the question... "Have you seen any British people?" To which I answered "Um... they're EVERYwhere. " Scout is an intelligent girl. She reads, she draws.. she's a regular renaissance girl. It was innocent enough and charming for a little lady who got up at 11:30 p.m. to talk to her mom. 

The flat is adoreable. Spending time here really helps with the city experience. I love having a home base that's so personal!

It's about 10:30 AM on Wednesday and we're on our way to the Tower for some tours and then going to take the double decker in true tourist style and go to different places.

Until later, stay sane and know that we're thinking of you all working... you know... while we don't work and pander around London for the week.
---------------------------

A couple of  books we championed while planning out our trip was:
and

Lizzie and I found that his writing was honest, funny and current. These are things you need when making sure that your trip is planned right! 

I don't know how far my writing has come since then... but I can tell you that there have been many adventures that I have shared since then and many that I plan to share with you in the future. While reliving your old adventures, plan your new ones for 2014! 

Until then, plan big. You're worth it! 

xoxoxo
The Library Bloggess

I'm standing in the Tower of London and taking a picture of Tower Bridge



Westminster Abbey on a cloudy day


The awesome Sherlock tiles at Bakerloo Station











No comments:

Post a Comment