Tuesday, December 3, 2013

She's Crafty | Yarn On The Big Screen

Have you seen Catching Fire yet?!

I haven't, but already I'm in love with all the beautiful yarn pieces Katniss wears throughout the film.

After flipping through a copy of the Official Illustrated Movie Companion for Catching Fire at the library, I came across at least three pieces I had to search the internet to see if any original designs were available yet or any fan-created inspired patterns.

Enter the Katniss cowl. Probably the most popular piece from the movie if you listen to the internet buzz. The original is woven, which you can read all about in this interview with the designer herself, Maria Dora: Catching Fire Fashion: The Story Behind Katniss' Cowl. 

With a bit of searching, you can find plenty of patterns so you can knit yourself a fashionable Katniss cowl inspired, vest...cape thingy. My favorite so far lives on Ravelry. It's a free pattern created by Lauren McClain, known on the site as LollyKnits. If you're interested in making your own, you can find that pattern here.

The cowl is cool but I'm actually in love with a sweater she wears during the Victory Tour. It has a high-low hem, flattering color-block panels, and trendy thumb holes.

I haven't found a pattern for the sweater yet, but I'm determined. Maybe I'll even try my best at making my own inspired piece. Then again, I may not have to wait long for an official (or unofficial) Catching Fire knits book of patterns. The rumor is, the demand for patterns is HIGH.



This isn't the first time I've gone gaga over a piece of needlework in a movie. After watching Elf for the thousandth time I wondered if there was a pattern for the slouchy white hat Jovie wears while singing outside Central Park. I haven't found the right one yet, but I look whenever I think about the movie.



And, of course, you can't speak about cozy knits at the movies without discussing Harry Potter. House scarves, fingerless gloves, cowls, capes, hats...the movies are a treasure trove of fantastic knits. You can channel your inner wizard or witch with a cozy pair of house socks from Charmed Knits: Projects For Fans of Harry Potter by Alison Hansel, which you can check out from Link+.

So, tell us, what are your favorite big screen cozy pieces? Have you ever made one?

Let us know how you added the ear-flaps to your Jane hat from Firefly. Or how your stripey Tom Baker, Doctor Who scarf turned out. We want to know how efficient that Spock sweater is at keeping you warm.

Kaye & Malia

No comments:

Post a Comment