Monday, June 3, 2013

Just Life | What Would You Do?


Imagine you and your infant are on a train destined for the concentration camp. You know for sure that your train ride doesn't have a happy ending. 

What would you do to save your child?

Would you toss your child from this train hoping to save her life?

This is "Erika's story". I came across this heart-shattering book by accident.

Erika survived the Holocaust and ended up having children of her own never knowing her real parents or her real name. Erika was the name that was given to her by the woman who raised her.

I am a bit reluctant to share this children book with my child. How do you explain the Holocaust to a child?

I always ask myself, what would I do if I was living in Germany during the 1930s-40s.

Would I stand up for my fellow Jewish friends and neighbors or choose to keep my mouth shut to save me and my family from persecution? 

Then I imagine being on that train with my daughter. How could I comfort my child?


Signing off until next Monday- Panteha













No comments:

Post a Comment