Monday, April 6, 2015

Just Life| Chicken!

Do you wash the chicken before cooking it? I do. But apparently I am wrong. 

Months ago, I caught my husband barbecuing some chicken without even washing it. I was mortified. "What are you doing?" You have got to wash it before cooking it. 

But my husband simply said that he heard it on the radio, that you shouldn't be washing the chicken before cooking it.

That is crazy!

The only thing that I can still remember from my college Microbiology class is that those bacteria and viruses are major serial killers. You don't want to mess with E-Coli and Salmonella, and all those tiny killing machines. 

I didn't believe my husband. So, I Googled this topic and guess what. He was right. I was just baffled by what I found out.

Here is what I learned from the U.S Department of Agriculture Official website:

" Washing raw poultry, beef, pork, lamb, or veal before cooking it is not recommended. Bacteria in raw meat and poultry juices can be spread to other foods, utensils, and surfaces. We call this cross-contamination.

Some consumers think they are removing bacteria and making their meat or poultry safe. However, some of the bacteria are so tightly attached that you could not remove them no matter how many times you washed. But there are other types of bacteria that can be easily washed off and splashed on the surfaces of your kitchen. Failure to clean these contaminated areas can lead to foodborne illness. Cooking (baking, broiling, boiling, and grilling) to the right temperature kills the bacteria, so washing food is not necessary."

Also, it is recommended to use a thermometer when cooking meat or chicken. You should cook it until the meat's internal temperature reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now you have it. I still have a hard time processing this info to be honest.

Here are a few books on the food safety from your local library:

Making supper safe : one man's quest to learn the truth about food safety

The food poisoning update

Eating dangerously : why the government can't keep your food safe... and how you can

Signing off until next Monday- Panteha









No comments:

Post a Comment