Thursday, February 27, 2014

Book Bucket List | Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

A few weeks ago, I wrote about some of the series that have new books coming out this year.  One of them was Ransom Rigg's Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  The second book in the series, Hollow City, was released earlier this year.  And while I wrote about them, I had never read the actual book so checked it out on my Kindle over our Overdrive app.  I finished it in two days.  It was fantastic and the most I've enjoyed a fantasy book since Harry Potter.  I put myself on the hold list for Hollow City and finished that quickly too. 

Jacob, a self described average teenager, is bored of his life as a privileged kid in Florida.  He works part time at a drug store and is constantly trying to handle his eccentric grandfather. Jacob's grandfather has always had a mysterious past, but once the circumstances involving his death are suspicious, Jacob is drawn into a world he thought only existed in fairy tales.

Hollow city, the sequel, takes off exactly where the first book leaves off.  There's no break in the action, and it's easy to dive right back into the story. (Though in my case there was no break between finishing the first and starting the second book.)  There is more action, more character development, and definitely more peculiarity in this sequel.

The books also contain real photographs that have had little to no doctoring.  The strangeness of these real photos adds a lot of realism to the otherwise fantastical books.

No comments:

Post a Comment