Tuesday, July 9, 2013

4 Kids | Meet Fred

I have a pet lizard. His name is Fred. He's very cute. He can do push-ups. At least I think that's what he's doing. He's very quiet. 

Well, to be honest, he's not really a pet. He's just a lizard that visits me on my deck every day or so. 

I try to talk to him. He just stares at me and does his push-ups. 

I've tried to take a picture of him. He's pretty camera shy. He always skitters away whenever I reach for my phone to snap a pic. Maybe he's a famous lizard from a movie or something and doesn't like his picture taken. I don't know.

I think I need to do some research on lizards and figure out what I can feed Fred. And also what I can do to make my deck his home.

Good thing I work at a library and there are lots and lots of books on lizards.

Here's a good one I'm going to check out: Lizards by Nic Bishop. Not only does this book have great pictures, but it also provides basic information and fun, quirky facts about the appearance, habits, and life cycle of these amazing reptiles. By the way, the cover photo looks nothing like Fred. Fred's only 6 inches long and he doesn't have those horns on his head. But I know he's a lizard. 





I just googled lizard pictures and found one that looks just like Fred. Maybe it's his cousin. And check this out: doesn't the lizard in this picture look like he's doing push-ups? See? I wasn't kidding!
www.petuniversity.com

I might not know a lot about Fred, but I do know he's a reptile.

Oh! Speaking of reptiles.....

Today, the Cesar Chavez Central Library is hosting a special program for Summer Reading: The Shedskin Reptile Show. The program starts at 4 pm and everyone is invited. I'm sure I'm going to learn lots and lots about Fred, though I do have to say the title of the program -- shedskin -- has me a bit concerned.

So if you're in the area, stop by the Chavez Library today and learn all about reptiles.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of shedskin - have you found any shed lizard skins in your yard? If so, Fred might be an alligator lizard. I have several in my yard (and sometimes in the house) and I find skins all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't found any shed lizard skins in my yard. And I don't think I'm too keen for that to happen. But thank you for the warning! And for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete