Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Learning | Dude! Read Any Good Books?

A friend asked me for a quick recommendation for a 7th grade boy who's more interested in Legos and guns than reading stories.  This sounded very familiar to me; neither of my boys liked fiction much until they were older.  (It's interesting to note, that I caught each of them reading classic adult literature in their late teens. Even though they were not currently in school, and had no assignments. You could have knocked me over with a feather. The only reasons they gave were things like, "I heard this is a good book," or "it looked interesting.")



I recommended Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember off the top of my head.  It's the beginning of a series that takes place in the future, after a huge war has destroyed civilization. The City of Ember is an underground settlement that has relied on a water-powered generator for hundreds of years. When it fails, the residents of Ember will be in darkness, day and night. It's up to Lina and Doon to solve a number of mysteries and technical problems to save the city, because nobody else seems to know the danger they face.  You may have heard of the movie based on this book.  Sometimes a reluctant reader is more inclined to pick up a book if (s)he knows a little bit about the story.

Later, I thought about books for boys who like guns. There are quite a few classic books that are perfect for grades 5 through 8. I always loved Fred Gipson's books, like Old Yeller, because they invariably featured dogs, but I do recall that the main characters needed to know how to shoot.  The same thing with Jack London's books, like The Call of the Wild, and Jim Kjelgaard's books, including Big Red.












I'll have to think a little harder about books that might have an appeal for those who love building with Legos. If you have any ideas, feel free to comment below.  

______________________________________________________________________________
So, this week, I was already pondering the idea of books to recommend to young men, when I heard a cool idea from a customer.  She's a (grownup) musician who plays with the Stockton Youth Chorale.  She struck up a conversation with a fifth grader; they talked about reading. Pretty soon, she came up with a list of twenty of her favorite books from her childhood; the fifth grader composed a list of his twenty favorite books from today.  Now they each have a list of titles to read and discuss with each other. Sounds like a win/win plan to me!

2 comments:

  1. The Westing Game is perfect for all readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of boys like Gary Paulsen books. He has written several series, including Brian's Saga. Hatchet is the first of that series, and it is a great read. He also wrote Soldier Heart, Dogsong, and many others. His coming-of-age-in-the wild stories have a lot of appeal for boys. Another author I recommend to boys is Walter Dean Myers. Many include sports (basketball, soccer) and/or a "bad boy" trying to come to grips about why they ended up in trouble. Start off with Monster, if you've never read any of Myer's books, and go from there.

    ReplyDelete